ATHENS, Tenn. - Union College forward Deante Johnson poured in a game-high 31 points, leading the Bulldogs to an 88-74 victory over Tennessee Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon in Appalachian Athletic Conference action at Robb Gymnasium.
With the victory, Union won their 10th straight game, improving to 20-3 overall, 13-1 in the AAC with the victory. Tennessee Wesleyan fell to 13-10, 9-5 in the AAC with the loss.
In the first half, Union took an early lead, as Tennessee Wesleyan remained within striking distance throughout. Union took their biggest lead of the period at 37-29 with 4:47 left. This ignited a scoring run by TWC to end the half, as the host Bulldogs ended the period on a 14-5 run to cut the Union lead to just one point at 43-42 at the half.
TWC kicked the second half off by quickly knocking down a basket to take a 44-43 lead, which started a back and forth for the lead throughout the half. Things came to a head with 8:46 left, as TWC took a slim 65-64 lead.
This would mark the final time on the afternoon that the host Bulldogs held a lead, as Union went on a back breaking 16-4 run over the next four minutes to go up 80-69. effectively putting Tennessee Wesleyan away for good in the process. From there, Union rolled, on their way to the 14-point road conference victory.
Overall, Johnson posted his 31 point performance on 15-of-19 shooting from the floor on the day, falling just two points short of a career-high 33 points set in a Thursday's win against Milligan. He also snatched 13 rebounds in the win to record a double-double.
Elsewhere, Union's only other double-digit scorer on the day was guard DeAntray Stevens, who had 20 points. Also, guard Tarik Smith matched Johnson in the rebound department, grabbing 13 rebounds, as well.
Tennessee Wesleyan was led in the loss by guard Tyler Burse, who had 16 points.
By the Numbers
- Union has now won 13 of their last 14 games, 10 straight AAC contests and still has yet to lose a game since the calendar turned to 2014.
- With today's win, Union clinched the 13th 20-win season in program history and the first since 2009-10 (that team ended the year 20-13).
- Today's win at TWC was the first for Union in Robb Gymnasium since Jan. 22, 2011, a 72-66 victory.
- With the 14-point victory, it marked the 13th time on the 2013-14 season that Union has beaten an opponent by double-figures.
- Johnson has now recorded back-to-back double-doubles, pushing his career total in that department to 11. It was also his fourth straight double-digit scoring game and 18th of the 2013-14 season (out of 23 games).
The Bulldogs return home on Monday, hosting Virginia Intermont in an AAC-tilt. Tip-off at Robsion Arena is set for 7:30 p.m.