MONTREAT, N.C. - Sophomore Haley Perkins recorded her second double-double of the season as Union netted an 85-68 Appalachian Athletic Conference victory over host Montreat (N.C.) on Wednesday.
The win is the Bulldogs' third in a row as they improved to 14-6 overall and 10-2 in league play. Montreat drops to 9-11 overall and 4-8 in the AAC.
Perkins was one of four Bulldogs to score in double figures as she finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Amber Taylor led the way with 24 points and seven assists, while Lydia Nash chipped in 23 points. Alyson Roberts rounded things out with 14 points.
Union overcame a slow start to seize a slim halftime lead before exploding for 50 second-half points. Montreat scored the game's first five points and led for much of the first half. The Lady Cavaliers owned their largest lead at 19-11 with 10:06 left in the period following a Laticia Singleton bucket. However, the Bulldogs mounted a 13-2 rally to take a 24-21 lead after Perkins and Roberts connected on back-to-back 3-pointers. The teams traded baskets the rest of the half as Union took a 35-32 lead into the break.
The Bulldog offense continued to click in the second half with Union taking its first double-digit lead at 49-38 when Nash scored with 13:02 remaining. From that point on, Montreat never threatened to retake the lead, only getting the deficit under 10 points twice. The Bulldogs led by as much at 21 points en route to the 85-68 decision.
For Montreat, Singleton set the pace with 20 points and 10 rebounds with Kim Henderson adding 13 points. Taylor Settlemeyer helped out with 10 points.
By the Numbers
- With her 24 points, Taylor now has 999 for her career.
- Taylor also surpassed the 100-assist mark for the season for the second year in a row. She has 105.
- Union hit 60 percent (18-of-30 shots) from the field in the second half and finished the game at 50 percent (33-of-66).
- The Bulldogs have had three double-double performances this season. Perkins has two of them with Taylor owning the other.
- Perkins has been a rebounding machine lately. In the past four games, she has had three double-digit rebounding nights for a total of 38.
- Nash, Roberts, Taylor and Perkins accounted for 80 of Union's 85 points.
- This was the worse home loss of the year for Montreat. In their other two home defeats, the Lady Cavs lost by a combined total of four points.
Union returns home on Saturday to host Virginia Intermont in another AAC affair. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.