Women's Soccer - Fri, Nov. 4, 2011
News Photo
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. -- Freshman Kayse Cornett scored the eventual game-winner in the ninth minute of regulation, as the number four seeded Union College women's soccer team hung on to knock off five seed Montreat, 1-0, in the quarterfinals of the 2011 AAC Tournament Friday afternoon at Burch/Nau Field.

With the victory, Union improved to 10-7 on the year, and move on to the semifinals of the AAC tournament. With the loss, Montreat's season comes to an end, closing out with an 11-7-1 overall mark.

In the first half, the Lady Bulldogs came out on fire to start, attacking the net from the get go. 

It didn't take long for UC to get on the scoreboard, as late in the ninth minute, Jenn Sckirl (Edmonton, Canada) lined up a corner kick from the far end. Sckril put the ball directly into the Union box, and Cornett (London, Ky.) made the most of the opportunity, heading the corner to the back of the net to give the Lady Bulldogs the early one-score lead.

The score was the first Cornett's season, and collegiate career, while Sckirl registered her sixth assist of the year on the play. 

The rest of the period saw the Lady Bulldogs continue to relentlessly attack the net, as they outshot Montreat 11-1 in the period (Montreat's lone shot in the half came in the 40th minute). With the strong defensive effort, Union went into the half up a goal on Montreat.

In the second half, things changed, as Montreat became the aggressor as the half began. The Union defense, however, continued to turn away each chance the Lady Cavaliers had on net. 

The Lady Bulldogs, meantime, could not cash in on the chances they on net to presumably put the match away, as several shots bounced off the post. Montreat goalie Caroline Mellard also kept Montreat in it after making several impressive saves throughout the course of the period.

As the match waned into its final moments, the Lady Bulldogs had to fight off one more attack on net by Montreat, as the Lady Cavaliers had a free kick from 20 yards out in the final minute. The kick, however, was misplayed, and went out of bounds. Montreat tried to quickly mount another attack in the final 20 seconds of the match, but ran out of time, as the Lady Bulldogs hung on for the thrilling one-goal win.

Overall, Union outshot Montreat in the match 20-7, and held a 9-2 advantage on corner kicks. Union goalie Stephanie Burton (Queensland, Australia) notched her third shutout win of the season in the match, as she made four total saves in the contest. Mellard was impressive in a losing effort for Montreat, making nine saves overall.

The Lady Bulldogs now move onto the semifinals of the 2011 AAC Tournament, where they will take on the winner of tomorrow's Bluefield-Reinhardt match, which will be played at top-seeded Reinhardt. The semifinals will  take place on Thursday, Nov. 10. Time and site are to be determined. 

Stay tuned to, as information will be posted as it becomes available.