Men's Soccer - Wed, Oct. 5, 2011
News Photo

DAYTON, Tenn. - 110 minutes of play wasn't enough to decide a victor, as the Union College men's soccer team and Bryan battled to a 2-2, double overtime draw on Wednesday night in Appalachian Athletic Conference action.

With the tie, Union goes to 5-6-2 overall, 0-3-1 in the AAC, while Bryan is now 6-4-2 overall, and 2-1-2 in the AAC.

"This was just a great game," said head coach Tyler Brock. "I'm proud of the way are guys fought back after falling behind early. In my 14 years [at Union], we haven't played very well here, so to come out with a draw is a positive moving forward.

"I have to give credit to [Bryan] head coach Dr. Sandy Zensen, who is in his last year here. He's been a class act and a role model, and if this is the last time we play against him, I'm happy we gave him a fun game to go out on."

In the first period, Bryan was first to strike, as Johnannes Miller scored in the fourth minute to give the Lions an early 1-0 advantage.

In the 29th minute, however, Union tied the match up at one apiece when freshman Jonathan Watson (Kirriemuir, Scotland) scored an unassisted goal. The score, which was his team-leading sixth of the year, made it 1-1. That score would hold up over the next 16 minutes, as the game went into the half tied.

In the second period, the Bulldogs took the lead in the halves onset when Watson scored his second goal of the day in the 50th minute. The score, which was assisted by Marc Miller (Winchester, Ky.), was the seventh of the season for Watson, and gave Union a 2-1 lead.

It appeared that the goal would be the game winner for Union for the majority of the period, as UC goalie Andrew Metcalf (Chester, England) continued his strong season with another solid night in between the pipes.

As the game entered the 85th minute, the Bulldog defense made a costly mistake, as they recorded an own goal while defending in their own end. The ill-advised score tied the match back up, and sent the contest into overtime.

In both overtime periods, Bryan and Union had opportunities on net that were denied by each team's goalkeeper.

In the first overtime, the Lions fired three shots on net, all of which were saved by Metcalf. In the second overtime, Bryan's lone shot on goal was saved by Metcalf early in the period.

Union had one last chance to win the game late in the overtime, but two Bulldog shots on net were saved by Bryan goalie Joshua Oldroyd, preserving the tie. The Bulldogs also had two corner kicks in the final two minutes of action, but failed to convert either one, as the match ended in a 2-2 draw.

Overall, Union outshot Bryan by a slim 16-15 margin, while Bryan had a 13-7 edge on corner kicks. Both Metcalf and Oldroyd were solid in net on the night, as they each made eight saves, apiece, in the contest.

Union returns to the pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 12 when they host Brescia at Burch/Nau Field. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.