Men's Soccer - Tue, Sep. 6, 2011
News Photo
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. -- Union College and Cumberlands (Ky.) battled to a 3-3 draw in NAIA men's soccer action on Tuesday at soggy Burch/Nau Field. The game ended in the tie after 110 minutes of action.

With the tie, Union is now 1-2-1 on the season, while Cumberlands is 1-1-1.

"Overall, I'm very happy with the performance, and with everything our guys did out there," said head coach Tyler Brock. "I thought our back of Jonathan Watson (Kirriemuir, Scotland), and Chris Elliott (Isle of Wight, England) played great, and Andrew Metcalf (Chester, England) did a great job in goal in a relief effort.

"The guy's are starting to buy into our system, and I'm looking forward to our matches this weekend."

In the first half, both squads were very, very aggressive right from the opening kick.

Union got on the board first in the eighth minute when Kyle Hathorn (Burlington, Ky.) scored from two yards out off a cross from teammate Marc Miller (Winchester, Ky.). The goal for the senior Hathorn was the first of his Union College career, and gave the Bulldogs the early 1-0 lead.

Cumberlands would fight back with a goal of their own in the 17th minute to knot the game up at one, but Union responded 10 minutes later when Miller scored his first goal of the season from 15 yards out. Chris Riley (Cornwall, England) was credited with an assist on the score, as Union took the lead back at 2-1.

Once again, the Patriots would fight back, and scored back-to-back goals (one in the 35th minute, and another in the 39th minute) to take a 3-2 lead going into the locker room for the half.

At the beginning of the second half, torrential rains came into the area, and continued for the duration of the contest. This slowed play down, and as the match entered the 80th minute, Cumberlands still hung on to a 3-2 lead.

It was here that Jamie Cozens (Southampton, England) scored his first goal of the season off a deflection from a Union free kick to tie the game up at 3 apiece. Cozens scored the goal from 20 yards out unassisted.

This set up a frantic last eight minutes of play, that was capped when Riley struck two straight shots at Cumberlands goalie Matheus Oliveira from close range in the game's final minute. The Patriot goalie, however, stopped each shot in succession, securing that the match would head to overtime.

In the first overtime, Cumberlands was the aggressor with three shots, but Union's Metcalf  stopped the lone shot on goal for the Patriots in the period, as the game moved onto a second overtime.

In the final frame, both teams had their opportunities, with Union coming up with a serious threat late in the match that almost won it for the Bulldogs. With 10 seconds left, Riley, like at the end of regulation, had a clear shot on net saved by Oliveiera.

The ball was then bounced out to Elliott, who fired a desperation shot towards the net from 35 yards out as time expired. The ball went over Oliveria's head and into the net, but the match officials determined that Elliott did not take his shot before the game clock expired, thus ending the match in a 3-all draw in wild fashion.

Overall, both Cumberlands and Union took 16 shots on the day, and each had five corner kicks, as well. Metcalf, who came in at the start of the second half, was solid in goal, making 3 saves and not allowing a goal over the final 65 minutes of the match.

Union returns to the pitch on Friday when they take on Notre Dame College at the Georgetown Classic Tournament in Georgetown, Ky. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.