Men's Basketball - Sat, Jan. 8, 2011
News Photo
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. -- Union's Turrell Morris scored a game-high 26 points, as the Bulldogs beat Reinhardt in thrilling fashion, 82-77, on Saturday evening at Robsion Arena.

With the win, the Bulldogs improved to 8-8 overall on the year and 2-0 in the AAC. Reinhardt fell to 5-10 and 1-1 in the AAC with the loss.

In the first half, the lead went back and forth throughout the  first 20 minutes, as it was deadlocked 42 all going into the locker room. Union was led in the first half by Cody Miller (Barbourville, Ky.) who had 12 points, while Reinhardt was led by Larricus Thomas, who had 10 points.

In the second half, Union raced out to a 10-2 run to start the period, opening a 54-44 lead with 14:14 left in the half. Over the next five minutes, however,  Reinhardt went on a 15-2 run of their own to take the lead back from the Bulldogs at 59-56 with 9:33 left after a Thomas lay-in. Reinhardt remained in the lead the until a Morris (Columbus, Ohio) lay-in gave the Bulldogs the lead back at 63-62 with 7:32 left.

Union eventually opened a 67-63 lead with 6:30 left off a Morris dunk, but the Eagles came roaring back, going on an 8-0 run to take the lead back at 71-67 with 3:45 left. But, Union tied the game back up at 71 all with 2:40 left when Morris added another dunk.

Reinhardt then proceeded to go on a 5-0 run to take the lead back at 76-71 with 2:00 minutes left. It was here that Union made a comeback, punctuated by a Payton Ponzer (Independence, Ky.) three-pointer that tied the game up at 76-all with 1:10 left. In the game's final minute, Reinhardt's Ishamael John made one of two free throws to give the Eagles the lead back at 24 seconds left at 77-76.

When Union retained possession, Morris made what turned out to be the game-winning jumper in the lane, in which he was fouled on. The bucket, which was assisted by Ryan Young, gave Union a 78-77 lead. Morris then made the free throw to complete the three-point play and made it 79-77.

On Reinhardt's last possession, the Union defense forced a turnover, in which Morris got a steal on. Morris then made one of two free throws, as the game's final bucket was recorded by Brent Cork (Saginaw, Mich.) who tipped in a Morris missed free throw to finish off the win for Union.

Morris scored 15 points in the second half to lead the comeback to record the game high point total of 26. Other leading scorers on the night for the Bulldogs included Miller, who finished with 14, Ponzer who had 13 and Ian Davis (Cherry Hill, N.J.) who added 11. Reinhardt was led on the night by David Lawson, who had 20.

Union returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Bluefield for an AAC tilt. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.