Men's Basketball - Tue, Nov. 9, 2010
News Photo
Indiana Wesleyan
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. -- Union's Ian Davis pored in a game-high 28 points, but it wasn't enough, as No. 24 Indiana Wesleyan held off a late second half comeback by the Bulldogs to hang on to a 73-67 win on Tuesday night at Robsion Arena.

With the defeat, Union falls to 0-3 on the season, while Indiana Wesleyan improved to 3-1 with the victory.

"I couldn't be more proud of the way our guys competed against a very strong Indiana Wesleyan team," said head coach Sean Gillespie. "We made a lot of progress tonight, especially off of the way we played on Saturday [against Indiana-East]. But, we're still not satisfied and we still have some more work to do."

In the first half, Indiana Wesleyan went into the locker room with a 36-29 lead. Union was led in the period by Davis (Cherry Hill, N.J.) and Turrell Morris (Columbus, Ohio), who each scored eight points. Indiana Wesleyan had three scorers with seven points in the period to lead the Wildcats to the halftime lead.

In the second half, Union stayed within the Indiana Wesleyan lead in the first five minutes, then tied the game up at 36 all with 14:45 left off a Davis layup. Union took their first lead of the half with 13:50 left when Davis drained a three pointer to make the score 41-40. Indiana Wesleyan, however, quickly tied the game up, then took a 49-45 lead with 10:34 left when Will Hubertz knocked down a tray.

Union, however, clawed back to take the lead with 7:40 left when Vince Coleman (Columbus, Ohio) hit a three to make the score 54-52 in the Bulldogs' favor. This was the last time that Union would take the lead the rest of the game, as Indiana Wesleyan quickly tied the game back up and went on to open a five point lead with 5:05 left.

Union did have one final chance to take the lead when they tied things up at 63 all with 2:23 left on an Antonio Murry (Nashville, Tenn.) lay-in, but Indiana Wesleyan's Aaron Martin quickly answered with a three to make it 66-63 in favor of the Wildcats. The Bulldogs cut it to one with 1:55 left off a Morris jumper, but the Wildcats went right back down the floor and made a layup to extend the lead back to three at 68-65 with 1:41 left.

From here on out, Indiana Wesleyan salted the game away at the free throw line and made critical stops on the defense end to preserve the six point win and deny the Bulldogs an upset victory.

Overall, Davis scored his 28 points on 9-for-11 shooting, a 2-for-4 performance from outside the arc and a perfect 8-for-8 night from the free throw line. He also added eight rebounds and blocked two shots in the contest.

Union's other double digit scorers on the night were Morris, who finished with 11 and Murry, who had 10. Indiana Wesleyan was led by Patrick Hopkins, who scored 22 points to lead the Wildcats to the win.

Union returns to action on Friday when they host Southern Virginia as part of the 2010 Union College Classic. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. at Robsion Arena.