Men's Basketball - Sat, Dec. 5, 2009
News Photo
Virginia Intermont

BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - With a little bit of luck and some sheer determination, Union College pulled out a wild 92-81 overtime decision over visiting Virginia Intermont College Saturday in Appalachian Athletic Conference action.

After trailing the majority of the game, Virginia Intermont tied the score at 71-71 with 5:04 to play on a Wade Bryant 3-pointer.

During the final five minutes, neither team could seize control, Marquette Knight put the Cobras up 77-74 with a 3-pointer at the 1:07 mark. Virginia Intermont had a chance to ice the game; however, Tihlee Anderson missed the front end of a 1-and-1 situation with 26 seconds remaining.

Then, with 5.1 seconds left, Union had the ball to inbounds on the right sideline. Due defensive pressure, Payton Ponzer (Independence, Ky.) collected the pass at the Cobras foul line. Ponzer raced down the court and lofted a 26-footer that bounced off the rim, but he was foulded on the play awarding him three free throws with 0.7 seconds on the clock.

Up until this point, Ponzer was 1-of-4 at the line and had missed two free throws. Yet, Ponzer drained all three to send the game into overtime tied at 77-77.

The Bulldogs began overtime with an 8-0 run to take an 85-77 lead with 3:08 remaining. Beau Brown (Athens, Tenn.) scored six points during the surge and eight of the his 18 points in overtime.

From point on, Union cruised to the 92-81 decision.

Brown recorded his third double-double of the season with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Darrel Jackson (Jonesboro, Ark.) led Union (5-6 overall, 3-1 AAC) with 20 points, while Ponzer and Kearney Demus (Lexington, Ky.) followed with 12 and 11 points, respectively.

For Virginia Intermont (0-11 overall, 0-4 AAC), Knight's 25 led the way with Bryant knocking in 12 points. Anderson chipped in 11 points, while Jimmie Ross helped out with 10.

The Bulldogs return to action Saturday at Cincinnati Christian (Ohio) University. Game time is set for 3 p.m.